Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Boobs and Naps

Nursing SUCKS! Anyone who says, "It's so great! It bonds you with your baby and it's wonderful!" is a crazy person who shouldn't be allowed to have kids in the first place!!! The best thing I found is to give them a bottle of formula before you put them down at 6pm or 7pm. Wait until 9pm and pump both sides. Use that milk at night for 1 or 2 feedings then nurse in the morning one side and nurse every other side for every other nursing session. That allows them to drink the first part of the milk and "the rich hind milk" or so they say... Also, if one side is a marathon producer - pump it and do the bottle. And don't feel bad about switching to formula! The best part is the first few months then it is OK to switch. Regarding naps - yep, you are pretty much at home for the duration. Cooper is almost 3 and sleeps 2 - 3 hours a day. He will sleep at his school for about an hour twice a week and when he is with me is it 2 - 3 hours a day. The two naps go to one at around 1 year I think and then they stay (sometimes until kinder garden.) I kind of like it because I get a little freedom to work, get stuff done, talk on the phone, etc. A few days with short naps or no naps won't kill him. You have probably noticed that he is a lot nicer when he gets to nap so sometimes it is just easier to give him and let him sleep!

2 comments:

Rachel Neal said...

Well it's good to know I'm not insane. :) Evan is such a booby baby and won't take a bottle. We've tried all the tricks to persuade him to no avail. He will, however drink water or juice out of a sippy cup so we're thinking we're gonna try that. :) We want to do an overnight out in July so G'ma's gonna have to be able to feed him somehow. :) I think I will be counting down until his first bday....1 nap and no nursing!?!? Sounds like heaven to me! :D

Christy said...

OK- nursing "sucks" no pun intended :)